December TBR (or Killing my "currently-reading" GR list)

No comments
I rarely do what my "To Do" lists say so I can't promise I'll actually stick with my TBR... But I'm trying to actually finish some of the books I've started this year, so this list will mostly consist of book I'm currently reading. I'm trying to get through all of the books I started reading so I could start anew come New Year but I myself don't exactly believe I'be 100% successful.



"Night Film" by Marisha Pessl
I've heard people talk about this book on BookTube for a while and I was convinced it's just another Young Adult book. I couldn't be more wrong. It's a detective story slash mystery and I love it. I'm exactly in the half of it and I'm planing on finishing it right after I finish this one assignment for school.

"The Art of Asking" by Amanda Palmer
Amanda Palmer is well known music personage so I don't think I need to introduce her. The title of her book sounds a lot like a self help book, but it isn't. Or maybe it is but the best self help books are teaching you through someone else's story. So far The Art of Asking is a lot about what Amanda went through on her way to the place in life she's now. And I really like the way she writes about it.

"Orlando" by Virginia Woolf
Anything by Virginia Woolf is no doubt considered a classic. Orlando might not be Mrs. Dalloway but it's got a great value on its own. It tells a story of a man born into Golden Age England living longer than he should changing gender when at will. It's beautifully written and I totally should have finished it sooner.

"Under the Skin" by Michael Faber
My first book of Fabers and I was unreasonably excited to read it. And it's good. Very mysterious science fiction about a woman named Isserley who lives and drives on the roads of Scotland picking male hitchhikers on her way. It would be a lie to say I'm not intrigued to find out what's going to happen next.

"How to Build the Girl" by Caitlin Moran
Caitlin Moran's fiction debut (only not so much a debut) tells a story of Joanna of Wolverhampton as she finds a way to support herself and her family. As she finds out, she has to kill old Joanna first, and then build a completely new person. Person she wants to be. And it's in her case Dolly Wilde - a music journalist and Lady Sex Adventurer. I've heard million times it's YA book but I don't think it is. It reads more like a literary fiction than like a YA and it certainly misses a whole lot of tropes usually find in YA books. It might be a coming of age story (gosh, I hate that term) but not all of these stories should be considered YA. You don't but a book into a certain category just because the age of a man protagonist fits there!

"Dangerous Liaisons" by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos
Yet another classic. I'm reading this for school and I'm enjoying it so far. And since I've seen a theatre adaptation of it, Laclos's characters have voices of my favourite Czech theatre actors in my head. And it's so good!

"Empower: Fight like a Girl", a short story collection
Collection of stories by famous (and not-so-famous) female TV writers . I've read only a handful of these so far (and I'm surprisingly reading them in order - since I have an ebook copy of it) but I'm loving them.  And it does have stories by THE Jane Espenson and Amy Berg, so, yeah...

There's a chance I'll try to finish some other books as well, we'll see how it'll go for me this month.

No comments :

Post a Comment