Strong Female Protagonist (Mulligan/Ostertag)

No comments
Written by: Brennan Lee Mulligan
Illustrated by: Molly Ostertag

*** Received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review. ***

Strong Female Protagonist is a tie-in of webcomics about Alison Green, a retired super-heroine. With other teenage superheroes, she used to fight crime with her superstrength, but eventually she decided to lead a normal life and go to college.

To be honest, it's been a month since I read the first sixty pages and besides some accidents with her superstrength I can't recall what was going on. It happens to me only rarely that I don't finish something. I usually make myself to do it, it might take a month or a year but I usually do it eventually. But with this one, I just couldn't. I'm about 60 pages in and I lost any interest I could have had to read this comic book. And that was a month ago so I don't think there's any chance I will finish this.

I wanted to say some good things about this comic book but I don't think I actually liked anything about it. Starting with the art, it wasn't appealing at all to me. It's black and white and bit shaky. And I realize the ebook version is not a great quality but in this case it was just plain annoying. What I thought from the beginning and I know for sure is that a colour makes it better - apparently the new parts of the webcomic are in colour and it makes it so much better!

What I found most annoying were the bottom explanation lines that are not in the original webcomic but were for some reason added here. I don't know if they're supposed to be funny or helpful but for me they were very distracting. (And I tried skipping them but it's always weird when there's always one more like to read on the page and you just skip it.)

As for the main character, Alison, there just wasn't anything I could relate to and she just wasn't interesting at all. She was incredibly whiny, which is probably the main reason I didn't care at all about her history nor her future. She is super strong but she doesn't seem to control her power very much which seems to be a reason of her insecurities. I think the insecurity was supposed to make her more human but it just make me dislike her more.

The only reason Alison is called strong female protagonist is because she's physically strong. And maybe I'm just too dismissive with her but to me she's just... not anyone I want to read about.


I think it might be better to actually follow the comic series on the website because I can't stand this for longer time periods... I wanted to like it but it just didn't happen.

No comments :

Post a Comment